Wednesday, January 23, 2013

YA Highway Road Trip Wednesday



It's time for YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday!
This Week's Topic is: Good for a laugh: who is your favorite comedian or funny book and/or movie?


I don't know if I have one favorite comedian as much as many -- Lucille Ball, Dick Van Dyke, Robin Williams, Jim Carey, Adam Sandler, Tim Allen, Ellen Degeneres, and Will Farrell...the list can go on and on.

As far as favorite funny book...as a child, it was Judy Blume's Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends.  As an adult, my mom and I enjoyed reading anything by Erma Bombeck.  And as a teacher, I've added Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar, as well as books by Andrew Clements to the list.

Favorite funny movie?  The one that almost ALWAYS comes to mind is The Princess Bride.  I think Rob Reiner is a genius, and there are SO MANY memorable lines!
I got this image from here
  • Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father, prepare to die.
  • He's only mostly dead.
  • Inconceivable!
  • As you wish.
Yes, this list can go on and on, too.

Thanks for the Road Trip, YA Highway!  I think it's time I go dig up this DVD and make plans to watch it this week!

10 comments:

  1. I love THE PRINCESS BRIDE! :) I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm probably long overdue for a rewatch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this movie like crazy. I used to get it out from my library over and over again until I had it memorized!

    "Mawaige... mawaige is what bwings us togeva today..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob Reiner only directed it. The REAL genius behind The Princess Bride is William Goldman who wrote the book and the screenplay. If you haven't read the book, I recommend it. It's the same style of humor, and with lots of other things you don't get in the movie (backstory, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! Thanks so much for clarifying that. I never paid attention to that. I have always wanted to read the book, but somehow it got pushed down the reading list over time. Looks like I'll need to bump it back up!

      Delete
  4. My husband is a HUGE fan of THE PRINCESS BRIDE, me not so much. Before you gripe, my initial experience watching this movie was a bad one, my husband and best friend (who also loves it) are trying to rally me to watch it again. I am becoming open-minded. Your post is doing something to help me along on that quest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're big fans of Shel Siverstein and THE PRINCESS BRIDE in my house. Both are hilarious! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Princess Bride! That movie was sooo funny!
    Great choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, heck yeah, the Wayside School books! I remember those being the absolute funniest things ever when I was like, eight. They're probably responsible for my fondess for absurdism (Miss Zarves!)

    ReplyDelete