Monday, January 7, 2013

Wonderful Characters: Books with Characters Who Have Special Needs

As a teacher of both typical children (however you want to define them) and children with special needs, I used to find myself hard-pressed to find books that show students with special needs as a main character.  I have found few that show these children with any amount of complexity.  Recently, however, the number of books which prominently feature children with special needs is growing.  Here are a few that many of my students have connected with...

Wonder by RJ Palacio
When I read this book last year, it quickly became one of my favorites.  August is a boy who has cranio-facial abnormalities.  He has also had multiple surgeries every year since he was born.  This book, told from the point of view of several characters, chronicles August's experience as he transitions from homeschooling to a small private school.  Anyone who listens/reads this book learns how to get the perspective of a child with special needs.






Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco
This book tells the story of students who are in a "special class".  While they learn to deal with the teasing and emotions that come with being "different", they learn that they can do AMAZING things.

Like all of Patricia Polacco's tales, this story is autobiographical -- very inspiring.  If I had to choose one book to inspire my own students (and their parents), this one would be it.





Thank You, Mr. Faulker by Patricia Polacco
This is Ms. Polacco's tale of learning how to read, and the teacher who cared enough to give the extra time and help she needed.

You can read more about Patricia Polacco here...








Rules by Cynthia Lord
Cynthia Lord was a teacher (points in my book already!) and has a child with autism (read here).  This was her debut novel about a girl who has a brother with autism, and how she helps him understand his world through listing rules.  A must read!








The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Dyslexia?  It's due to the fact your brain is hard-wired for Ancient Greek.  Impulsivity?  That's your battle field reflexes.  Now THAT is cool.  What a fun way to explain dyslexia and ADHD.  So often kids with LD and ADHD are the "problem" children in the classroom.  Teachers see them that way, their classmates see them that way.  I love that this book helps them NOT see them that way.  Got dyslexia and ADHD?  You're a demi-god!  Awesome.







Books that I've not read, but have been recommended to me...

Hank Zipser: Niagra Falls or Does It?  by Henry Winkler
 This one came highly recommended to me by a mother whose son has ADHD.  They totally identify with Hank.  And what's not to love about a book written by the Fonz?










Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
A girl with Asperger's Syndrome dealing with the loss of a sibling who helped provide her with order and stability.  Sounds so deep.  I haven't read this book, but have heard amazing things about it.  It's on my nightstand, though, waiting for me to read it.  Please chime in and let me know what you think.







Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

  Another book I have not read yet.  The main character is has autism, and I hope to read this one very soon.














Do you have any recommendations?  I'm looking for books I can read to my class -- or recommend to my 4th grade students.  Please chime in!



2 comments: