Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Strong Girls

A few weeks ago, while we were reading Holes, we came across the part where Stanley Elya Yelnats' supposed interest, Myra, must decide whether to marry him or Igor.  She chooses the "pick a number" method, and the class was in uproar.

One boy declared, "That's not a good idea at all!"
Teacher:  "Well, how would you pick a wife?  What would you do?"
Boy:  "I would pick her based on beautifulness, intelligence, and if she was a good fighter."

I've been pondering this conversation quite a bit in the month since it's happened.  Funny as it sounded, those weren't necessarily bad criteria -- especially for a 10 year-old boy who is still trying to figure out the social norms of a school playground, much less something only adults usually think about.  Still, I wondered if there was something to the traits he had chosen.

Beautifulness.   Of course that would be there -- our society and media push this on us all the time.  Luckily, the maxim "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" seems to hold true.

Intelligence.  While most would associate intelligence with academic knowledge, thanks to Howard Gardiner, we can view intelligence in a broader perspective.  Everyone has something they are intelligent in.

A good fighter.  Numerous questions came to mind:  Did he see it in a video game? Does he want someone to protect him?  Why did he, of all students, pick fighting as a trait? (He's one of the most passive, non-aggressive students I've ever met).  Regardless of the reason, it was enough for me to think, maybe he admired a girl who was strong.

With that in mind, I have a number of books I read to my class that feature strong girls as main characters.  Maybe they are strong physically, or strong in spirit.  I choose them because they are characters I admired.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Product Image











The Report Card by Andrew Clements

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry



The Sisters Grimm:  The Fairy Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley



Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
Dragon Slippers
I had to edit this post to add one more of my favorites (how could I have forgotten??)  This one was recommended to me by one of my students a few years ago.  He and I ended up competing, seeing who could finish the book first!

If you are a fan of dragons, castles, and all things fantasy, this one is for you!


Of course, Young Adult lit has some excellent titles.  While I will not read these aloud to my 4th graders, I have personally enjoyed these books immensely.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)


Divergent by Veronica Roth



I know I've omitted so many.  Here is an article with a lively discussion on the topic.  I'm compiling my list.  What are your favorite books with strong girl characters (children's novels or young adult)?

1 comment: