Wednesday, February 6, 2013

RTW: Best book I've read in January


It's time for YA Highway's RTW!  Read about this "blog carnival" here.  This week's topic:  What's the best book you read in January?

Given that I only read one *gasp* book in January, this week's topic is easy.  Luckily, I really liked it -- but it's not a new release at all.  It's been out for a couple years now (I'm behind the times, I know).  The Maze Runner by James Dashner was awesome.  I not only read it in January, I think I read it in one weekend.  Think Jason Bourne meets The Matrix inside a labyrinth (with a little Flowers for Algernon thrown in).





The Maze Runner cover.pngHere's the book description from Amazon:
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

I'd tell you more, but I don't want to spoil it for you.  If you haven't done so already, read it!



As for some of my students and my own children, here are some of the books they have read in January, and their comments...

Student 1
Diary of Wimpy Kid #7:  The Third Wheel
"It's the best ever!"

Student 2
Gregor the Overlander and the Prophecy of Bane
"It's totally epic.  It's better than The Chronicles of Narnia."  (I'm still tying to understand the use of the word 'epic' in this manner -- I know it's the trend to use it this way, but it still feels grammatically wrong to me.  I must be getting old.)

Student 3
Amulet
"I love graphic novels!  Can I take this home and keep it?"  (Uh, no.)

Student 4
The Sisters Grimm:  The Everafter War
"I really like this series.  Do you think they will make it into a movie?"  (I think there was some talk about it, but they had some problems during the pre-production part of things.  Not sure what's happening now, but I think it would be cool if it ever did make to a movie!)

Offspring #1
"Just one book?  Well, I really like Superfudge and Ivy and Bean." 

Offspring #2
"I liked the new book Daddy gave me, Mercy Wapson to the Rescue"  (It's actually Mercy Watson, with a 't' but he was so adamant about it, I didn't want to argue.)

Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment